Thursday, November 1, 2012

Monogrammed hand towels

After seeing this photo on pinterest I fell in love with the monogrammed hand towels. I did a quick google search and found the towels here. But at $90 a hand towel I knew it was a no go. So I thought that I could perhaps paint the design on with a stencil and get a similar effect.
First I gathered my supplies:
You will need flour sack towels (not the softest but they are easier to paint because they are flat. The more plush the towel then the stencil will not look as crisp. I found these towels at Kmart for about $3.00. You will also need some freezer paper, paint, sponges, an exacto blade and cutting mat, and a pencil for tracing. 

First I went to the leotine website and looked at the different monogram options until I found one that I liked. After that I enlarged it on my computer screen. I simply taped a piece of freezer paper up to the screen (shiny side down) and traced the image. I lucked out that they had one with two of the three letters I was using. So I only had to "design" one letter on my own. After tracing the monogram on the freezer paper I cut it out with my exacto knife. (remember you are keeping the outline not the parts that you cut out)
Iron on the freezer paper (remember it should be shiny side down). The freezer paper will "stick" to the towel helping to prevent any leaks. Next simply dab on the paint with the sponge. Remember not to press too hard or use too much paint. 

I peeled the stencil off as soon as I was done and then waited for it to dry. After I would suggest heat setting the paint. (I think to do this you just flip the towel over when it is dry and iron on the back?) 

And Ta Da! Here is the finished product. Not perfect but for about $7 I was able to make three towels. Totally worth it for the amount I saved in my opinion.  :) 


No comments: