Saturday, August 28, 2010

Some projects



Well after an eventful day yesterday complete with me locking myself out of the house.. ugh. I didn't get to blog but oh well... I wanted to share a project that I tackled last weekend. I love sunburst mirrors and found lots of pretty ones online. But the price tags...Yikes!! most are at least $200 bucks for the size I wanted.

So i got crafty.

I was going to go with silver since we have silver accents in the room but instead I thought that drift wood might tie in with the grey in our room while adding some nice texture to break up all the smooth lines of the room. Now we live at the beach so you would think that there would be tons of free driftwood. but nope no driftwood sticks. So i went to look online and all the driftwood was so expensive :( but then... ETSY! I looked on etsy and found a person that would ship various sized driftwood sticks for super cheap! I calculated that I needed 90 sticks for my 14" mirror and i was exactly right (if i was doing this again I would order 100 sticks so I would have a few to pick and choose from)



I used foam core board and a round mirror from Michael's and lots of hot glue. I simply cut the foam board to be about 1 inch larger than the mirror and hot glued it together. Then I just went around and glued the sticks on. (Sorry I wish I had taken pictures of the different steps but oooh well)

Mirror Price Break Down:
Mirror $7 but had a 40% coupon
Hot Glue sticks $2
Foam board $2
Driftwood sticks $10.00 + $10.00 shipping

For a Grand total of... ~$28.00 Not too bad! And I think it really works in the room.

<3c
ps. here is another sneak peek of the growth chart I am making for baby Suri :)


pps. The jogging part of this "blog and jog" is definitely slacking

ppps. ROBBY COMES BACK TOMORROW!! yay :)

No comments: